Monday, April 23, 2012

And a Silver Sixpence In Your Shoe

Everyone has heard of "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" (except James, who I guess had not heard of this until I mentioned it) which pertains to four separate items worn by the bride to ensure good luck on their wedding day.

Something old represents continuity with the bride's family and the past, something new is optimism for her life ahead, something borrowed is from a happily married friend or family member (whose good fortune carries over), and something blue--a color associated with weddings for centuries (love, modesty, purity, fidelity).

I've got my something blue, and I'm pretty sure my dress and shoes fulfill something(s) new, but what about the rest?  Does anyone have any ideas? I've seen the blue garters, and I've seen the new blue stitching fad, but I'm curious as to what other people have done.

And, does anyone still keep up with the last line of the proverb, a silver sixpence in your shoe?



PS - Where to procure a sixpence?

2 comments:

  1. You can order a six pence lucky wedding coin online and I'd be happy to procure one for you!... Auntie Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an interesting tradition, but I'm curious as to how brides do this in a way that doesn't hurt, or isn't annoying. I bet most brides are already wearing heels that they are not used to, but then to have a coin slipped into their shoe too... that just sounds uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS