Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Don't Speak to Me Out of a Hollow Heart

I value honesty, accountability, integrity, and persistence.  I don't like small talk--I am not good at it and it bores me.  I like to walk away from conversations feeling like I was intentional and that our friendship reached a new depth.  That is not to say I don't like to have fun conversations about fairly pointless things, but don't lie to me or give me empty advice.

"You'll be ok... everything will be ok"

"Things will work themselves out"

"Follow your heart"

[The OBVIOUS God question/answer]

Please don't be critical because you feel like you have to, because of your age, or your position, or your personality.

If you have no platform to tell me about something, just don't.  I dislike when people give me advice, or worse, condemn my actions, when they have no experience in whatever issue we are discussing.

Let's all try and be... a little less judgmental.  If there is anything this past year has taught me, it is that you really don't know where someone is unless you are that person, or unless you have been let in and you are intensely invested in their life.  But even then, things can change in the blink of an eye.  And then all of a sudden your friends are discouraging you, or the world becomes confused, or your closest peers talk behind your back.  And for what reason?  They don't understand.  How about we be encouraging, forgiving, supportive, and on each other's team, and give each other the benefit of the doubt?  I believe my friends are spiritually mature enough to make smart decisions, and in the event that they are human and they make a mistake, I often find it was a mistake that they had to make in order to learn and get where they are today.

I am not aiming this at anyone, it's just been heavy on my heart lately.  I feel like in every domain people watch my life so closely and try to dictate what I should and shouldn't be doing and feeling, when they have no idea where I am.

Speak the truth in love.  --Ephesians 4:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS