Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Satan Must Be Having A Party

This whole "making my walk my own" thing has not been easy and has not been a short trip.  I mean, I still haven't arrived.  But I can tell you that there have been a few key players that have been instrumental in getting me this far; people that have spoken into my life and changed the way that I see things, enough that I can now base my entire life on something that I cannot even see with my own two eyes.

One of those key players is my pastor from home in San Diego -- Barry Minkow.  If you are a lil bit older than me, or if you are just extremely savvy when it comes to cultural history, you might know that Barry comes from a dark past, but has reformed his life and is one of the most amazing speakers I have had the opportunity to listen to.  His messages have literally changed my life.  My church-journal is chalk full of his sermon notes and I often hear his catchphrases in the back of my mind as I go throughout life.

Tonight I was informed with the terribly sad news that he has stepped down as senior pastor due to a mess of sticky extenuating circumstances.  He is stepping down in order to stay above reproach because he is being accused of a crime, and churchgoers don't take that kind of thing lightly.  It is too soon to judge what is to come, and to be honest I don't know many of the details, but my heart is breaking tonight for all of the members of CBC (Community Bible Church) and a little bit for myself.  Like I said, Barry is an amazing man and his words have changed the lives of hundreds of people.  He knows the Bible like the back of his hand and he has a magical way of teaching the gospel effectively to anyone that will give him five minutes of their time.  I am near tears as I write this because of the pain I know this must be causing back home, and because of what this might mean for my church.

Please be in prayer for my church and my pastor's family.


Dear Church Family,

   Today Barry resigned as our Senior Pastor as he is no longer qualified to be a Pastor. Pastor Barry no longer considers himself above reproach as he has agreed to plead guilty to a criminal count related to the Lennar law suit. As we obtain additional information that we can share we will certainly share it with you. The Elder Board and the Pastoral Staff is meeting tonight to put in place the necessary actions as we, as the CBC church family, adjust to this most devastating event. 

   We would encourage everyone to remember that CBC is the Lord's church and as the Lord told Peter in Matthew 16:18, "I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it." so please be diligent in prayer. Pray for Barry, Lisa and the boys. Pray for our Pastors and lay leaders as they continue to serve our local body as they faithfully have been doing. Pray for our local body as we go thought this transition KNOWING that the Lord is in control and that the Lord will direct and provide. We take comfort in knowing that CBC is our joint family and it is times such as these that your fellow believers most need you/us/each other.

  As noted above, the Board and Pastors are meeting tonight and we will keep everyone informed on the details of the transition as we seek and follow the Lord's guidance relative to who he has already selected to be our Lead Shepard.

   If you have related questions please contact one of the Elders (Greg Bell, Lloyd Brown, Mark Soriano, Howard Hughes, Tony Nevarez, Ray Sims and Alan Stewart). If you do not have they contact information please call the church office and they will get you in contact with them.

In Your Service,

Elder Board

2 comments:

  1. You don't know me--your blog just came up when I did a search for Barry Minkow last night. I am a former member of CBC and just wanted to remind you that it was God not Barry who taught you and worked in and through you all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, oh caffeinated one - if I could.....Barry may have been talking, but it is your amazing desire for life that allowed you to hear - from a devout agnostic...and I know and like Barry too..let me know how it goes.. Peace, ML

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS