Friday, November 12, 2010

Something I Think About


Whenever I watch movies where the main character is either sick or hungover, resulting in a sick day where they sleep the day away in bed, I am overcome with the desire to be in that situation.  Now that is an awful thing to say.
I don’t understand it but the idea of an entire day of selfish rest is so seductive to me.  A day where I don’t have any obligations or tasks, where I don’t have to please anyone but myself, where I get to sleep, eat, and heal,… sadkfjhsdfkjh AH! I just want one of those days!
I remember when I was in my freshman year philosophy class and my teacher said that our minds are capable of great things.  If you are a hypochondriac that constantly worries about getting cancer, or (at the time) H1N1, you have a greater chance of actually contracting that illness because dwelling on those type of thoughts has an interesting effect on our brains.  Our brains see in images, not words or thoughts.  Therefore, what we see is what we get.  When a cigarette smoker sees the “no smoking” sign (a cigarette with a slash through it), it immediately compels them to want to take a smoke break.  The image of a cigarette places that thought process in motion.  When someone asks you what you want to eat, don’t reply “anything but Chinese food!” because then they immediately picture their plate of shrimp fried rice, and all of a sudden they are in the mood for some.  Our brains take images and turn them into reality.  They are trying to help us out, but sometimes something goes wrong.  If you picture yourself sick in bed with the flu, your body (this is scientific) lowers its resistance and actually makes itself viable to contracting a disease or illness, so that it can acquire for you what you want, or what you keep thinking about. 
It's interesting for me to think about.  It’s an interesting perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS